Thursday, 15 November 2012

Autism and the Internet

J loves computers. A lot. He has never really played with toys at all (other than the bin lorry he had when he was little that I talked about in my 'early signs' post) But computers are a different kettle of fish. He would be happy doing that all day everyday, playing games and researching his special interests (currently You Tube videos on how to take apart and reassemble Power Rangers Megazords)

We had a conversation the other day where I told him how I think he's very lucky that he has the Internet and how much it helps him with his Aspergers. Infact lucky is putting it mildly, I think it helps incredibly. If we have to go somewhere new he can google it, find pictures of it, and get familiar with it as much as he needs to. When we went out for lunch a couple of weeks ago he found the pub menu on the Internet weeks before we went, and checked it about 10 times a day. Making decisions is difficult for him at the best of times, spur of the moment is impossible, so this way he had already chosen what he was going to eat days in advance, and was looking forward to it. If there is any question that I can't answer or anything he needs to know to help reduce his anxieties about something, we can google it and find the answer, making for a calmer little boy.

And I'm also thankful for the internet for me. I have found a wonderful community of autism parents, autism partners, special needs parents.... the list goes on, They are on twitter, they are on Google+. they blog, they leave lovely comments on my blog, and they are so incredibly supportive I don't know where I would be without them. People who check that all is ok and that we've had a good day, people who have been there, done that and can offer brilliant advice whenever it is needed, people who send a virtual hug and cup of tea/alcohol when the day hasn't been such a great one.

The Internet is a huge part of our lives, and I for one am very thankful for it.



12 comments:

  1. Spot on, Susan - sounds very similar to our experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's brilliant that the internet helps you both so much. Picked you up from Mummy's Litte Monkey today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great to find so many resources are available to your son and that it helps with his anxieties. My friends son sounds similar to yours and she started blogging too. I think she has met many people through on line communities which helps on the days that she feels like she doesn't know what to do. Fantastic post which i am sure will help other parents too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-) It is such a huge help, there's always someone who has been through it and can offer help and support.

      Delete
  4. Most importantly, it connects us as mothers and gives us even more support and tools to help our children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I don't know where I would be without it.

      Delete
  5. My boy LOVES youtube and computers and the internet. He gets a bit obsessive, but I think in a strange way, it helps him to process what's going on in his head. I am very thankful for the internet, too. Places like Amazon.com where we can find things we can't find in the store are a godsend to us, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - it's such a logical thing and provides an answer for pretty much everything! I know that it helps J with so many things.

      Delete